Kalinga the ancient Kingdom of present day Odisha has been a glorious phase in the history of India and the world. Kalinga excelled in art, craft, culture and literature. It excelled in maritime trade taking both culture and agriculture beyond the shores of the Indian subcontinent.
Despite several challenges, Modern Odisha is on its path to become a leading state in India in terms economic growth and opportunities created for the young and the future generations. This is an opportune time to connect the old to the new and make bridges between the past, present and the future. Literature, among others, remains the most powerful force to connect the glorious history, a pregnant present with immense possibilities and hope with a prosperous possible future. Odia Language and Literature have been acknowledged globally to have a tradition that dates back to more than 2000 years. Since Odia became the sixth classical language and Bhubaneswar became a leading city in the Smart City Project, we have taken this up as an opportune time to celebrate Odia Literature, its history, its present, its possibilities and its national and global interconnections.
Odisha Media info Service (OMIS) Private Ltd and Odisha Diary Foundation (ODF) will organize the 4thEdition in Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF) on 11 and 12 June 2017 to celebrate this creative spirit of the Smart City of Bhubaneswar and commemorate the literary diversity it offers, bringing it in conversation with the best minds in the world of literature within and outside of Odisha and India. Academics, authors, political and social activists, law makers, government officials, corporate leaders, students and people from all walks of life will immerse in the vibrant atmosphere of the festival and exchange opinions on their favourite authors and works. Several eminent literary and film personalities are scheduled to attend the event.
KLF has emerged as an Annual Flagship event in the cultural calendar of Odisha and our focus is to rekindle the romance with literature and foster reading and writing habits, especially among the youth. It offers a national platform with a global appeal and bridges the gap between literature in English and other Indian regional languages.
Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF) acknowledges the important role of other platforms, organizations and media houses in hosting such festivals in recent years across India. We have been at different Literature Festivals to develop mutual learning and strengthen existing networks among the living legends and the young minds of literature. At KLF like last three years people from different traditions, regions and cultures will represent the astounding literary diversity of our country. Literatures from different parts of India will complement the regional literature of Odisha and we are hopeful of a creative and productive dialogue between and among literary genres and traditions. We promise you an aesthetically and intellectually illuminating Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF) which will be an eclectic mix of celebrity authors, thinkers, cine-world luminaries blended with inspirational debate which will nourish your creativity and thinking.
It is universally accepted now that our journey in this world is not merely a sum of material needs. We have a soul, a conscience and a mind that yearns for fulfillment, longs for love, craves immortality, desires admiration and needs emotional succor in times of trouble, distress and failure. Literature takes care of many such non-material and intangible needs and aspirations.
Broader Objectives of the Festival
• To engage with national literary traditions and genres to foster mutual learning.
• To create a national and global level platform for emerging literary genres
• To inspires, train young and aspiring authors to emerge as torch bearers of literary traditions
• To encourage dialogue of literature with the policy makers, activists, artists and leaders.
• To highlight the rich legacy of Odia language and cultural legacy of Odisha and promote the Bhubaneswar city as a focal point of new creative and intellectual energy.
• To promote and further the cause of Odia Literature in Indian languages and in English.
• To bring into focus the need for an active interaction among local, national, and foreign lan-guages and cultures.
• To create a platform for artistes from different creative fields to interact with each other and share their work among themselves and with their readers/audiences.
• To provide and an opportunity for writers to interact with publishers